Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cooking Up the Love

Each and every week at Cross Bar X we are fed, served, and loved by volunteer cooks who give a week of their time and gifts to help us.


Carl and Denise are our volunteer cooks this week, they are starting their second week of service this summer and they served once last summer! Carl and Denise have 2 grown children and 5 grandchildren. They summer in Durango. Just recently they got evacuated from their home outside of Mancos, CO due to a wildfire there. God just so happened to have arranged it so that they could join us again, stay busy and not dwell too much on the fears of the fire.

Here is my interview with Denise...



How did you learn about Cross Bar X and our need for cooks?
One Sunday we were at the church we attend in Durango and our pastor made an announcement welcoming the staff of Cross Bar X and prayed over them. He encouraged others to learn about CBX and to get involved with the ministry at CBX and so we approached either Tim or Joy and learned the biggest need that they had was for volunteer cooks. So we signed up and did our first week a year ago this week!



Have you ever served at a camp or in a similar capacity, cooking for large groups?
NO! Never. We really had no idea what we were doing or even planned on serving in this way. But it has all worked out amazing!


What is challenging about being a volunteer cook at Cross Bar X?
Timing. Definately timing and maintaining tempature.
We really want the food to be fresh and hot when the campers and counselors walk in... not getting dry or cold. That really is the biggest challenge for us is knowing when to start stuff and how fast to cook it. The staff provides a lot of help and once you learn where things are it is easy.


What do you enjoy most about it?
Teasing the other kitchen staff! No, I really enjoy getting to talk and interact with the counselors who work with me, the support staff and the children! I love seeing people be happy and full of good food. Even today one of the campers remembered my name! It is only the second day of camp and she said, "I know you, you are Denise the cook!" I was floored and touched that she knew me and cared to remember me!



What is your favorite item on the menu to cook?
I enjoy the pizza, lasagna and the Zia Taco bowls... we actually made a sauce the first week we served this summer to serve on it... Carl likes spice. It was a big hit with the staff!  Here it is...

Cilantro Serrano Sauce
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
  • 3 serrano chile peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • salt and pepper to taste


  • What would you say to those who are interested, but on the fence about being a volunteer cook?
    Oh, I'd say... "It is just your time. That is all you need to bring!"
    Have an attitude that says "I can do this, and this is going to be fun!"


    What have you learned or seen through your weeks at Cross Bar X?
    I've learned that I need to be thankful for the time, love and work that went into my food. I've actually started thanking chefs at restaurants we go to.
    I also love to see how much children are loved and how much time and one on one interaction they get! Joy in our faith is clearing seen in everything that is done here at Cross Bar X!

    No comments: