Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cross Bar X... Just a Camp

Cross Bar X. 
Just a camp?... A place kids come back from and tell how much fun they had??
 
Or a place they remember the rest of their lives? Well to be honest they will remember this place for the rest of their lives. And yes they always come back and gush with stories of the excitement they had and the friends they made or saw again. But this is more than just a fun camp. Much more. Let me share a quick story.
 
My name is Andy Parker and is my first year as a counselor  at Cross Bar X Youth Camp. This past week I had four campers in my cabin, Jack was seven years old while the other three were eleven and twelve years old. Having such a age difference within the same cabin caused problems the first day. While the older ones were unified, the seven year old was usually looking in from the outside to their little circle. It was difficult as a counselor to balance the attention given each one and at the same time try and relate to each age differently. All week I struggled with this until I heard God tell me to stop. Simply stop trying to be perfect as a counselor and just teach these kids the Gospel of Christ, the Good News of the Word. So that is what I did.
 
 


 
Friday morning the last day before camp was over I had John come up to me and ask me to show him exactly how to be a Child of God and receive salvation. I was blown away because all week John had been pushing off what I had been telling him about salvation and God's free gift to man, and yet here he was asking me to show him how to become a child of God!  So I asked John to tell me exactly what he wanted and what salvation was, he explained to me in words and an understanding better than I have heard any child ever explain what salvation is and how to be God's child forever. I had him pray first and it was a beautiful thing listening to a broken hearted eleven year old ask God to wash away his sin and adopt him as His son.  I cannot explain what it was like seeing God and GOD ONLY bring this young man to me asking to show hom how to be saved and knowing it was NOTHING I did but teach the Gospel!!!
 
Cross Bar X.
Just a camp ....or a place the Gospel lives and breathes in each one here?? 
 
This is more than a camp....this is a place were God moves how He needs to and were we strive to give Him glory through everything!! AMEN!

No comments: